To show hidden files in Windows 10, you have to give instructions to your computer to show Hidden Items. But sometimes the system doesn’t work as perfectly as you want. At that time What to do?. Here is the answer.
Query 1– Hello, my problem here is that Windows can’t show hidden files and folders. Many times I try to check the option “show hidden files and folders”, it unchecks itself. Right now I am using Windows 10. My Windows 10 has failed to show hidden folders. How can I resolve this error?
Here, we will start with the fundamentals…
Hidden files and folders are usually not viewable to Windows users. The reason for hiding files & folders is to avoid the Windows system messing up, accidental deletion of data, and to hide important information.
Generally, we show hidden files by opening the Windows File Explorer Options and then checking the option of Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Although, this way does not always work properly. Moreover, in this situation users are not able to tick the “Show Hidden Files” option, another situation indicates hidden files not working in Windows 10. Users can tick the option, but the hidden files will not display up. Well, in this blog you will get the solution of “ how do you show hidden folders in Windows 10.”
Why Should You Hide Files?
The idea of hiding files can seem confusing at first. First and foremost, you have to keep your data secure from others. Well, there are many more sensible reasons for it.
- To keep your files private and away from hacker’s eyes.
- Avoid accidental deletion of data by differences.
Let’s move to the techniques to learn “how do you show hidden folders Windows 10”.
Also, Read source not supported Chromecast
How to Show Hidden Files Windows 10?
System administrator hides some files for a particular reason. If you need to know “How do you show hidden folders in Windows 10”. You should check with the administrator to know the reason behind the hiding. After taking permission to unhide those files and folders, you should open these files. If someone unhides these files without the permission of the System administrator, it will be considered a malicious activity. Maybe you will be in trouble. So, taking permission before unhiding the hidden files is necessary.
Many ways show hidden files windows 10 some of them are given below by which you can unhide the hidden files.
So, let’s move to the solution of “how do you show hidden folders in windows 10”.
Method 1- Enable Viewing Hidden Files
If you are using Windows 10 and want to unhide the files, follow the below-described steps to show hidden files.
- First, click on the Windows icon, at the lower-left corner of the screen.
- Then, type Folder name and choose Show hidden files and folders from the results.
- Finally, locate the Advanced Settings category, choose “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”. Then hit on the Apply button.
Method 2- Show Hidden Files Windows 10 cmd
You can use the cmd to show hidden files in Windows 10. Besides, you know the exact location and file path of the hidden file you need to access.
To do that:
- First, right-click the Windows button and select the “Run”.
- Secondly, type “cmd” in the Run dialog box.
- Now, navigate to the folder. Like, if the file path is “D:\case\msg\secret file\mysecret.txt” then navigate to “D:\case\msg\”
- Next, replace “cd” with attrib: h “secret file” in the next line.
- Finally, the hidden files will open inside the “secret file” folder, and you can get to the file you want.
Method 3. Run System File Checker Tool
If users are not able to show hidden files in windows 10, that is probably due to some of your Windows system files being damaged. In such cases, running the System File Checker tool will be helpful. The Windows built-in tool will help to restore missing or corrupted system files, which may fix the issues of “how do you show hidden folders in windows 10”.
- First, Click “Start” and type cmd.
- Now, right-click “CMD” and choose “Run”.
- Next, enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthsfc /scannow, then press the enter button.
- Finally, after performing this successfully, restart the computer and check whether the problem exists or not.
Method 4- Modify the Registry
Adjust the registry while show hidden files in Windows 10. Be careful because operations may lead to some serious system errors.
- First, tap the “Windows + R” keys and type “Regedit”. Tap “OK”.
- Now, go to:
- Next, double-click “CheckedValue” and put the “Value data” as “1”.
- Finally, reboot your system and check whether “show hidden files not working” persist or not.
Method 5- Uninstall the Antivirus Program from your system
Sometimes, the antivirus can interfere with a lot of activities on your computer, so deactivating or uninstalling it, may work for you. Now, check it. If it worked, you got your solution and otherwise move to the next solution.
Professional method to Show Hidden Files Window 10
Manual methods are good, but they have their limitations, one of which is data loss. So, if you have lost data, of your hidden file, then you can recover it with Windows Data Recovery Software. It helps to get back damaged or deleted images, videos, documents, and other crucial data of corrupt Windows Hard Drives.
This is all above about the methods to get back your hidden files and folders in the Windows Operating System. Now, wrapping up the blog.
Summing it up
When manual methods of “show hidden files windows 10” is not working, you can resolve it by using an alternative way, running the System File Checker tool, or modifying the registry key. If these methods didn’t help, a specific way to bring back your hidden files is to use the Data Recovery software to restore the hidden files or folders.