Yahoo! is doubtlessly one of the very few sites everyone has ever visited or heard of in the vast world of the internet. It has a global network of operations with offices available and managed in every continent to provide its users with the best experience of its services with ease.
Yahoo brings happiness to its users in the form of a bucket of services such as Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Search, Yahoo Cricket, Lifestyle, etc. Also, users can download Yahoo emails, Yahoo cricket, etc., on their mobile for easy access. All these services are being loved by their users for over decades now. Yahoo Mail has one of the highest users among its competitors & hence it’s a primary email client for millions of users.
But in the last few years, Yahoo has encountered several cyber-attacks because of which data of several users like us came under a threat of getting stolen or getting damaged. These incidents can eventually lead to difficulties in the lives of every user of Yahoo Mail.
Relax, do not panic because here we will show you the various methods through which you can easily download Yahoo emails in your secure local disks or hard drive to keep your data protected. But before that, let us discuss in brief why we should keep our emails secure on our hard drives.
Why Should We Keep Yahoo Mail on Local Disks
Well, without any doubt, we can say that all of us are aware of some of the reasons to save Yahoo mailboxes, but still, if you are not sure, then here are some of the reasons to backup Yahoo emails on local disks.
- Accidents can occur anytime and can take all your emails, attachments, and other data away from you. So it will always be better to have a backup of your data.
- Hacking and cyber crimes are on the rise in the age of digitalization, where several evil minds want to grab the opportunity of stealing your data for a variety of purposes.
- Email clients provide limited space for your usage on their servers. So by creating a backup, you can free up space on the servers without any worries.
- We are used to synchronizing our data from different services or servers which, creates an easy path for the entry of malware that can corrupt your data.
- Download Yahoo emails and be independent of any network dependency to access your emails as you can have all that in offline mode.
So now you have understood the need and the risks associated with not having a backup Yahoo mail, let us proceed to check out the various methods by which you can easily download or import Yahoo mail database.
Methods to Download Yahoo Emails to Local Disks
There are various ways by which one can download Yahoo mail on their secondary memories such, as local disks or hard drives. To provide you with an overview of the same, here we have discussed a few of them.
- Copy and paste emails
- Using POP/IMAP settings for Microsoft Outlook
- Using POP/IMAP for Thunderbird
Let us have a deeper look at all of the above methods.
Method 1: Copy and Paste Emails
As clear from the name, in this method, we can copy and paste our emails into any word processor and can save them in any format such as doc, Docx, pdf, etc., on our local disk.
Step 1: Copy the email you want to save
Step 2: Paste it in any word processor such as Microsoft Word, Wordpad, etc.
Step 3: Save it by pressing Ctrl+S in any format by selecting the file format from the drop-down menu.
Step 4: Click on the Save button and, you can see your created backup on your local disk.
In this way, you can save and download Yahoo emails on your local disk but, it will cost you a lot of time. So let us move to the second method.
Method 2: Using POP/IMAP settings for Microsoft Outlook
As we know, Microsoft Outlook is a reasonable option for accessing all your mails in offline mode, and hence it is a great option to import the Yahoo mail database.
Step 1: Open Microsoft Outlook and click on the File menu.
Step 2: Choose Add Account
Step 3: Type in your Yahoo Mail credentials and click on Advanced Options
Step 4: Choose the checkbox beside Let me set up my account manually.
Step 5: Click on POP in the advanced setup window.
Step 6: Type in the password of your Yahoo Mail
Step 7: Finish connecting your Yahoo Mail to Outlook via POP by clicking on the Done button.
Now you have connected your Yahoo Mail to Microsoft Outlook, let us look further to download Yahoo emails to your local disk drives.
Step 8: Select Account Settings> Account Settings from the File tab.
Step 9: Click on the Data Files tab.
Step 10: Choose your Yahoo Mail Account and then Open File Location.
Step 11: Copy the file using Ctrl+C and paste the file wherever you want in your local disk or USB as per your desire.
Step 12: To view your emails, click on the Open & Export option in the File menu.
Step 13: Check Open Outlook Data File.
Step 14: Now browse and select the file of your saved Yahoo mail and, you are ready to view all your emails in offline mode.
Method 3: Using POP/IMAP for Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is another email client similar to Outlook where you can save Yahoo Mails and access them offline anytime.
Step 1: Select Account Settings on the Tools menu.
Step 2: Go to Server Settings in the Account Settings window.
Step 3: Type pop.mail.yahoo.com as Server Name.
Step 4: Punch in 995 as Port field.
Step 5: Make sure to set the Connection Security to SSL/TLS.
Step 6: Your Yahoo Mail configured for Thunderbird. You can easily download Yahoo emails by using the Import/Export option from the File menu.
Using any of the above methods, we can easily save Yahoo mailboxes or download Yahoo emails on our local disks. But using these methods has certain drawbacks which we should know. So, let us have a look at the shortcomings.
Drawbacks of Using Conventional/Manual Methods
Several technical aspects along, with time problems, always keep in touch with these methods.
Let us have a look at some of them.
- These methods are too time-consuming. For instance, in method 1, we need to copy every single mail one by one.
- Also, creating separate files for each mail will build a mess in finding them.
- It requires higher storage space.
- To use the POP/IMAP methods, one needs to be technically sound of these methodologies before using them.
- You can not directly create a backup by using the above methods in your local disks, as it involves various steps before that.
So, the question which arises, what should we do then? How can we easily download Yahoo emails without wasting our precious time and without having any technical knowledge?
Do not panic because we are here with an alternative solution to help you in doing the needful.
Download Yahoo Mail into Local Disk Using Third-Party Solution
To rescue you from the drawbacks, let us have a look at a professional solution named Yahoo Backup Tool, through which anyone can backup Yahoo mail to hard drive without technical knowledge and also without wasting their precious time. And that too into various file formats such as PST, MBOX, OST, EML, EMLX, HTML, MHTML, CSV, PDF, DOC, JPG, etc. It also allows you to migrate Yahoo emails to other email clients such as Outlook, Gmail, AOL, ZohoMail, etc.
But even after all the discussion, you may have a question like why should we use this software when we can do all this directly?
Why Should We Opt For the Third-Party Solution?
By human nature, all of us always look for the product with the best features which can help in the swift completion of our task, and that’s where our alternative solution comes into the scene to download Yahoo emails. We have mentioned some of them here.
- Maintains the folder hierarchy so that you never see a backup unorganized.
- It gives freedom to create a backup of a specific period.
- It helps you in getting rid of duplicate and repetitive emails.
- It makes you independent of the internet by providing the Pause & Resume process.
- We can create backups of all the data like calendar, notes, etc., associated with your email client easily in a single go.
So this brings us to the terminus of this blog. We learned about the need to download Yahoo emails and how can we do that by several manual methods? Hence, we learned about the alternative third-party app solution for the same. This solution can help us in smoothly backing up Yahoo mails in our local drives. Hoping you liked and understood it. Thanks for reading.
Manoj Shukla is an Email Migration and Data Recovery Expert at Aryson Technologies. He has a keen interest in Technology & Entrepreneurship. Also, he loves cricket, music, and books.